Monday 14 March 2016

The Amazing Dragon Fruit Tree!


                                                                            Time to hit the road. Again.

The face mask is to keep out the dust as much as the carbon monoxide fumes.

I got an invitation from a lady in Vinh Long City to come and teach English at her private school. So, I decided that 5 days was long enough for a beach holiday. Time to get back to work! Onward and upward.

The bus was around $35US although I probably could have gotten it cheaper by buying directly from the bus station. But the seats were perfect. Like the bus on the way to Muine, this one had lovely full beds with little foot houses. You could lie down the whole way or just lean back but your feet were up.

En route to Vinh Long City, I discovered the dragon fruit tree orchards. Here's a tree up close. Their fronds are very narrow and look to be like a succulent. But, poking out from the bottom, you see all these funny little prickly balls. At first I had no idea what they were. I knew they couldn't be pineapple plants, though that thought crossed my mind. I have never seen a pineapple plant.
 Passing on the bus, we were going pretty fast so I clicked the shutter at the fields upon fields of these funny little trees. They're only about three feet to four feet tall.

 Here's a shot from the inside of the bus. The lady in the middle has her seat up. Those are my knees on the right but you can see the little foot cabin under the water bottle. Very new and modern buses.
                             More dragon fruit trees. They look a bit like the Cookie Monster.
What I heard about these tree is that they grow at night, so there is a light placed under every individual tree. I was told that you can see millions of lights at night under the dragon fruit trees.





 It's a simple life outside of the city. Simple people just trying to make a living.




                                                                                   Shots from the bus.





 Aren't they cute? And their fruit is funny. Maybe I just see it that way because I'm a Westerner.


 The terrain is a bit dry around here, like San Diego, as an American mentioned. It's a good comparison. The air can get full of dust when a breeze picks up.




What would we do without the farmers? I have a very high regard for these hard-workers who produce the world's food so that we can eat! Thank God for them.









No comments:

Post a Comment