Friday 4 March 2016

Another Airport Fiasco!

If you know me, you know that I have been into a few fiascoes in a few airports around the world. One time, the person who purchased a ticket online for me got my name wrong, which I only found out at the last minute as I was checking my bags. The happy ending to that story was that I got another ticket and only lost a little money. But, this time...

This time it was about THE VISA.

Sure, I knew you had to get a visa to enter Vietnam. I knew that. The problem was that online they kept calling it "Visa On Arrival" which really sort of intimates that you will receive that print-out of your visa application once you have arrived. Doesn't it? Well, I kept doing research and I asked my travel agent. I paid $15 US to get the visa online and then I took the flight to Bangkok.

Once in Bangkok, I tried to go online but couldn't get a connection for some reason. My laptop kept telling me things like: "We cannot get a secure connection..." and the pages refused to LOAD.

So, I went directly to the baggage check in and handed the guy my passport and ticket. As he was perusing the ticket, I happened to mention,

"I don't have a visa. I paid for it online but I didn't get an email back or anything."

He calmly answered, "You cannot go to Vietnam without a visa."

WHAT.

I'm shaking my head. "I... I... Could I just sort of show up and take a chance?"

"No, because they will put you on a plane back to Thailand and then you must fly back to your country."

(Silently) "YIKE."

That's when panic hit. I hate that. Don't you hate that? You get all shaky and flustered and unable to focus...

I took back my passport and ticket and walked away, wondering, "WHERE SHOULD I GO?" For a moment, Laos seemed liked a fairly good option. But, I froze in a sort of daze and then heard three little words, "Check your email."

All the "buts" came up: "but I can't get online", "but there's nowhere to print off a visa application", "but my plane is leaving in less than two hours", but, but, but.

Ok, I checked my email. Somehow I got online at a coffee bar and right there in my inbox was a letter of apology from the guy I'd paid the $15 to AND a copy of a visa application! So, I took my laptop to the nearest bag check fellow who was at the Singapore check in that was closed and he kindly suggested that I could email the visa to him and he'd copy it for me! What a break!

Downloaded the visa form and emailed it and he got it! He said I could go through the check-in and he'd have the visa sent to me at the departure lounge! Great!

So, I took my laptop to the Vietnamese check-in to show the guy there my visa. He was delighted. Then the other guy came running over saying, "It's the wrong page. We need the other page." So, I fiddled about and finally sent the other page to him. But, he didn't receive the email. So, I sent it again! Then, he got it! (Mind you, I'm standing there at the check-in typing on my laptop with three or four guys hovering around me, cheering me on! HA! It was a bit nerve-wracking.)

I handed the guy my ticket and that's when I realised I could NOT FIND MY PASSPORT! WHERE WAS IT? Did I drop it on the floor? I was scouring my backpack, trying to remain calm. "Oh, dear God, after all this, please give my my passport..."

Three seconds later, the guy from the Singapore check-in hands me my passport! I thank him profusely. OMG. And thank God!

"OK! You can go to departures, Mam. Gate 23." I'm off and running with an hour to spare to go through security. Phew.

Just before I got through to the departures, I heard my name being called. "MAM! WAIT HERE." I knew enough that I should do what I was told so I waited. "You forgot your laptop!" he said.

He kindly brought me my laptop. I checked to make sure my head was still on my shoulders. I thanked him profusely. Then I disappeared into departures.  













No comments:

Post a Comment