Thursday 28 February 2013

Kampar to Cambodia

The flight took 1 1/2 hours. That's a good thing because my seat was at the back against the wall so that it could not recline, so there was a pillow awkwardly stuck into my neck as I nodded out. It was impossible not to close my eyes after sitting in the airport all night. The odd viewing of "Mr. Bean" on the airport TV's was encouraging. I watched him climb to the top of a high diving board and completely related to his reaction. He laid down and clung to the board! That would be me!

On arrival, I heard a little voice say, "You're not going to like this." Whether it was the devil or God, I don't know, but it was right!

Squares of paper were passed around to fill out for Immigrations. Once inside the airport, we were required to pay $20 US! When I saw the currency was in US, I asked the man at the counter whether I had to pay since I was from Canada. (His reaction was disdainful and harsh, or so it seemed to a weary traveler.) He handed me a slip of paper and sent me back.

Then, as soon as I put the pen down, he called me. Me?

"Twenty dollars."
"I don't have dollars, only ringgit."
"I can take that." (Oh! And he did take it and short-changed me of 5 whole ringgit, by the way.)
"Picture."
"I have no picture."
"Twenty-five dollars."
"WHAT?"

So, the little voice had been so right. My gut reaction was to find a bus out of there as soon as possible. They were using American dollars for everything. The Cambodian Riel was only used for change in place of coins! I'm sure the taxi driver charged too much.

He couldn't find a guest house. We went to four but they were all booked up. Then the fifth one had no Electric City. (electricity) On to the next. . . It had a room available for two days but there was no electricity! The taxi driver told me I'd better take it because I wasn't going to find another room. So, I did.




 I think the reason they call it the "Tropical Breeze" is because that's what everyone is praying for. . . a BREEZE!


They were asking for $12 US / night, but I refused to pay more than $10. They were happy with that. The rooms are generally rented to groups so that a dorm will be rented out to 4 people at a time. Mine was a room for 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment