Wednesday 6 February 2013

Cambodia!

There was a travel agency in Kampar and I finally found it. In fact, I spent three hours there while they went on and offline, trying to find a ticket. When they finally found one for 400RM plus, plus, they tried to get someone on the phone to "give them permission" to sell the ticket to me. That attempt was futile, so after a while, I left. They were apologetic but excused themselves with being a small and new agency.

The following day, I had a similar experience in Old Town where I found an agency that couldn't really help me with a reasonable price due to the Chinese New Year travel explosion. My son called me from Seremban and we decided to meet up in K.L.
 


So, I flew home on my bike, packed my bags, fed the dogs and caught a taxi to the train station. I was in K.L. Sentral in a couple of hours. Tim met me and we went to Air Asia. It was cute; you put your passport information in a little machine that looks sort of like a one-armed bandit and it coughs out a flight! I joked with the young guy helping us,

"Now the machine will grow wings and I just jump inside, right?" Haw. Haw.
 



So, Tim and I went off for dinner. Then to the airport where he paid for my luggage. It was 100RM!! Then, I said good-bye to my dear son at 11:00 pm or so and sat on a hard seat until 4 am. They allowed us to board the plane at 5:50 am. Cambodia was only an hour and a half away.

Having not slept all night, I admit I was not my best when confronted with "The Visa". It cost $20, but if you had no picture of yourself to supply, the price automatically rose to $25, which was my case. (They like to charge in American dollars here.) Once I got through that, collecting my luggage went smoothly. Now, on to find a room. That was not so easy!

Siem Reap was full to the eyeballs with foreigners! Everywhere you turn, there are Caucasians! Apparently they come to see the ancient temples. Go figure!

When I finally found a room at a guest house that wasn't booked up, there was no electricity! The guest house clerk told me, "No Electra City. We were told on TV that it will come back at 6pm."

No comments:

Post a Comment