Saturday 5 October 2013

MSG Epidemic

Ok, I understand that MSG is not a disease. But, if it were, it would be a fatal disease. It's EVERYWHERE.

For example, I decided one area I could eliminate MSG was in my regular use of coffee creamer. Everyone knows that coffee creamer has MSG in it, as well as a lot of other chemicals that are probably just as bad. But, I wanted to zero in on the one that I am focusing on at the moment.

So, what did I do? I went out and bought some milk to put in my coffee, of course. Nice, natural, whole milk. I got the "Dutch Lady" one in the blue box that says "full cream" and "susu penuh krim berkhasiat". You know the one. On the front it also says: "Protein, Kalsium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2". (Why only B2?)

Anyway, it tastes pretty good. NOT as good as Coffee Mate, but, I figured I was doing myself a huge favour by avoiding all the MSG in the creamer, right?

WRONG.

It suddenly popped into my mind that I should probably read the ingredients in the milk, just to make sure there is no msg in it.

Here are the ingredients: Milk solids non fat, milk fat, calcium and vitamins (A, D3, B2). Contains permitted stabilizer (of plant origin). THERE IT IS. HIDING OUT RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM. "PERMITTED STABILIZER (OF PLANT ORIGIN). That's a fancy way of saying "Mono-sodium Glutamate", in case you didn't know. Or, angino moto in Japanese and sorry but I can't spell in Japanese.

Yes, folks, IT'S EVERYWHERE! Even in your MILK!

No comments:

Post a Comment