Friday 9 August 2013

Sarawak Chinese Rice

I drove my bike into New Town on Tuesday with the singular purpose of buying two top-ups at the 7-11.
When I got off my bike, I accidentally knocked over another bike so that it was leaning towards me from a higher sidewalk and left me struggling with two bikes. And, looking like an uncoordinated spastic. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get that cawnsorn bike to stand up on its stand.

The next thing I knew, a spry young lady jumped up to help me saying,

"I can help you! This is my bike."

"Oh! I'm sorry!" I apologized. But, she wouldn't let me apologize. Instead, she apologized to me that her bike stand was broken. So humble.

I asked her what her name was and we introduced each other. She is Jerry from Sabah.

"Sabah! I went to Borneo," I said, "I went to the longhouses in Capit."

She was all happy about that. In fact, this energetic bundle just never stopped smiling. It was contagious. Two of her friends popped up momentarily. They were off to a restaurant and invited me to come along. So I did.

We went to a very inexpensive place filled with young people eating platefuls of various student-type food. It was quite edible. When Jerry ordered Sarawak Chinese rice, I followed suit. I even ate the fishball soup which was not bad at all.

More young ladies joined us and in the end, there were eight of us, speaking three languages. We had a good old time, ate up our rice and moved on to "Each a Cup" where sate was ordered. But I was full.

"Wo baol la." I said. My attempt at Chinese made them laugh heartily and repeat my words to show they understood. I was pleased to try out a few rusty, dusty phrases I'd learned back in China.


 Me and Angeline

                                                                Jerry and me

After a few hours of giggles and grins, I headed home to pack for my trip to Seremban the following day. Little did I realize that the next day, I would be in my very first car accident! To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment