Tuesday 2 July 2013

Electricity

One thing it's only fair to warn you about, if you are a newcomer to SE Asia, is the electricity. The voltage, of course, is higher than in the US and Canada. (Not sure about Europe, but maybe the same.) So, when you get a shock, it's not just a little sizzle. It can be a pretty big sizzle.

Even when I go to put a DVD in the DVD player, I almost always get a little pin prick shock. That's without even going near any wires or anything. So, you electricians out there can help me on this one, but I think it's because the current is not grounded properly. Is that right?

For an adult, it's very easy to get a jolt, but for children, I'm thinking, it must be very scary when it happens. There are live wires just protruding from my living room wall that could cause a fatality. I accidentally touched one similar to it that was partially covered and it gave me a full body jolt! These wires should be toggled at the ends in plastic coverings.

So, if you happen to see a thick bundle of wire sticking out of a wall, leave it be! All you tourists, or would-be tourists, be warned. The voltage is higher and the electricians are not always certified and certainly the wiring would not pass Western standard certification.

My son went into my "attic" (the space between ceiling and roof, which is just beams) to look for a way to plug in my fridge. He was shocked at the mess of wires piled together in nest-like configurations just sitting helter skelter on the beams!

While the voltage in Canada is 120, in Malaysia, the voltage is 240. (He made sure to shut down the power before touching anything.) Twice as much zap for your money.  

The funny thing is that, although the electricity comes out in more amperage or volts, the appliances here are built to run on low voltage. Even the air conditioners could easily run on 120.

For more information worldwide on the electricity output, here is a site I found useful:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

One more thing about the electricity in Malaysia. There are switches over the outlets that you can use to shut off the flow of electricity when it's not being used. I highly recommend using these at all times!

I was warned. I can't say I wasn't warned that the current can suddenly flux and short out appliances even when they are not in use! Yes! (Again, I have to remind you, this is a third world country. It's stuff like this that is a constant reminder.)

So, one night, I turned off my TV but forgot to go behind the TV to turn off the outlet switch. I thought, "No biggie. Besides, it's such a pain to climb in there behind all those wires to switch that silly little switch."

The next morning, I turned on the TV to discover it was dead. I had allowed my precious television to get killed all because I was too lazy to turn off the outlet switch. You see? That silly little switch would have prevented the flood of power from zapping my appliance while I slept!

Did I ever learn my lesson. I switch off everything I'm not using. I switch off the air-con outlet and unplug the appliance when it's not in use. I unplug my washer and I remove my rice cooker from harm.

"Better safe than sorry."



No comments:

Post a Comment