Sunday 2 June 2013

Air Conditioning

For years, I have avoided the extravagance of air-con. Well, the one exception was for teaching a tuition class. One must be cool when teaching English to a group of students. It's dangerous to allow the temperature to rise to the point that either you or your students are sweating. That would never do.

Moving to Kampar has exposed me to more heat than ever before. Here at the foot of the Cameron Highlands, we are snuggled into a permanent cloud of moisture. Perspiration is inevitable. You are coated with it all day and all night until the early hours of the morning, at which time, you may get some reprieve.

Therefore, after I got two hefty writing assignments on Elance, I made a decision to break the rules. I decided to use the air-conditioner in the fore-ordained schoolroom, now office.

That's right, I moved my desk and computer in and took one of the beds out!

It's a bit of a strange feeling to work all day long in air conditioning. There's something unusual and unnatural about it. But, I manage. Sometimes when I come out of there, I feel like I just re-entered the real world. Heat. Then, the heat is a welcome change for my bones. But, heat does tend to make one lazy.

Ok, so I'm writing in the air-con! Hallelujah! And, now, I'm going to take a break and go back to the real world. ...And watch a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment