Thursday 18 April 2013

It Works!

Yesterday, I got into the back seat of a taxi and just as my behind hit the vinyl, the driver turned his head asking,

"You stay where?"

Now, normally, I would have answered an innocuous question like that, but I could tell! I could tell by the very sound of his voice that that question was going to lead to . . . "The Thousand Questions".

Warning bells went off! Interrogation! Interrogation! Privacy Alert! Privacy Alert! Go to Plan! Go to Plan!

Taking a long breath, I calmly smiled a calm smile. Then, I squeaked,

"Sorry, can't talk now. I have a sore throat."

"Oh," he said, "I see." There was a flustered pause in the front seat. Then, a silent implosion. Then, silence.

Silence! Yes! It worked! 

For a half of a second, I felt a teensy bit guilty for lying. But, then I felt a little soreness in my throat and thought, "I do have a little bit of a sore throat, actually. I mean, it's not extreme, but I prefer not to talk. Besides, why fill the air with all kinds of personal information that this stranger has no need to know? I'm doing us both a favour and it's not really a lie. My throat is slightly sore. I have a right to be still."

The ride was enjoyed in silence, except for the clacking of the radio speaker and repeated "confirm" from the girl on the taxi dispatch. I had won a victory. My plan was indeed watertight!

No comments:

Post a Comment