Thursday 12 December 2013

Prices in Malaysia

Is it me or have the prices sky-rocketed in Malaysia?

Last year, (or was it six months ago?) I bought a tiny bottle of TeaTree Oil for 15 RM. Now, the same sized bottle costs 30RM! In many cases, chocolate bar prices have also doubled. I haven't checked out all the prices on all the items at Jusco, but I'm beginning to think it will be a similar story.

I went into the DVD shop to see if I could find those cheapo 10 ringgit movies. You used to be able to find DVD movies for 9.99RM. Not any more. They start at 19.99 and go up. Yes, you can get "Buy One Free One" for 19.99 if you look hard in the sale box. But, most older movies cost 49.99RM! Phew.

Looks like I'm cutting down on chocolate and movies. I guess that can't be bad. So, I have the economy hike to thank for something.

Somebody tell me: "Where can I shop that's cheap?"

Maybe I'll check out the night market (Pasar Malam) and see what their prices are like.

On the bright side, I found a cheap book on sale today. Since the book is 994 pages, I asked the attendant if it was the correct price on the back. It said 13.90. He said,

"No, that's the pre-twenty percent-off price."

"Oh, so it's cheaper?"

"Yes."

"I'll take it."

It actually worked out to be about a penny a page. (And I mean Malaysian cents, ha.) Not a bad price for a complete and unabridged copy of "War and Peace". It even has a colour copy of "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" by Jaques Louis Davide on the front cover!

If you haven't read "War and Peace" yet, you can pick up a copy upstairs in Jusco at the MPH sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment